Monday, December 15, 2008

Speaking in Tongues

It took me a while to read the story "Speaking in Tongues". At first it took me some time to actually get into the story. However, once I got into the story, I really started to enjoy it. I liked it because it was interesting and it kept my attention throughout the rest of the story. Although, it was confusing at times.

I first was confused because I wasn't quite sure what was meant when the author said speaking in tongues. I still am not quite sure what the author meant. (If you know, feel free to comment and clue me in.) The story said things like, "You could only speak in tongues when all worldly matters were off your mind." I am just not sure what is meant by this or what the author is trying to get across to us.

One thing I thought was strange, was Tia's church. In the middle of the church service, everyone would get up and dance. They just did things that I have never heard of any other church doing. I know that in my church no one gets up and dances in the aisles. Another thing that I thought was strange, was how when Tia laughed in church class it was a crime. She later got put into a closet and practically choked by her church class teacher. This is the strangest chruch I have ever heard of.

However, this story became really interesting when Tia ran away. This is when I really got into the story. I new that something terrible was going to happen to her right when she met Dezi. I could tell that he was a creeper. Especially when he insisted that she go to his apartment and that she stay with him. I know that she really didn't know much better but still she should have used some common sense. I had a feeling when I was reading this that she was going to get d and then before I knew it she practically did. The one thing that I thought was really neat was how Marie just helped Tia out of the goodness of her heart. She knew that Tia would never be able to give her the money back or help her out later in life, but Marie helped her anyway.

All in all, I thought this was one of the best stories we have read so far. I really got into the characters and I really felt bad for the bad stituation that Tia was in. She honestly had no place to go. She had trouble living with her grandma and she really had no mom or dad. Poor .

1 comment:

Peter G. said...

I really liked this story as well, even though I thought that the ending was quite frustrating. I think what the story is supposed to be about is that you should be content with what you are and what you have. When they talk about speaking in tongues and leaving your worldly worries behind I believe this shows the meaning of the story.