Thursday, November 6, 2008

When trying to think of what to write on our first blog, I drew a blank. At first I was frustrated and upset at the fact that we were being forced to write this, but then as I thought about it, it started to intrigue me. I started to think about what we had been talking about in class. We spent a lot of time talking about art and the different interpretations each person had on a single piece. I thought it was very interesting how one thing could have so many different meanings to different people. For example the art piece we looked at that had the man and pregnant women in a bedroom. In my class alone their were at least four different ideas about the meaning of the piece and why the author made the faces of the people look sad. However, when I heard the real meaning behind it it changed my whole view on the picture. I feel that sometimes when we know how something is supposed to be viewed or interpreted we view it that way. We don't get the chance to use our own imaginations and create our own ideas. That is why I really liked doing that activity because we each had a chance to create our own ideas and then we we told what the true meaning was. In the end we got the best of both worlds.

6 comments:

Kels said...

I totally agree. Sometimes I admit that I get frusterated when I don't know the exact meaning but that makes you use your imagination. In the end your conclusion may be more satisfiying then the true meaning.

Lisa said...

Hellooooooo!!!

I TOTALLY felt the same way. I always think of bloggers as those whiney little losers who live in their mommy's basement until they're forty. So when I was told that we would be blogging, I was like HECK NO! Anyhoo, I'm starting to like it though, I've already cranked out three of these comment thingers and I'm having fun doing it. Plus, I was surprisingly able to think of a lot to write about for my own blog. Cool beans!

Soooo yeah, totally agree on the multiple meanings things. When you're told what something is about up front, creativity is totally killed. You learn by making guesses and making mistakes. Plus, it's totally mooore fun@

Ciao girl!

Peter G. said...

I agree, it is good that Mr. Kunkle lets us develope our own meanings for things, but i don't think that he should reveal the artist's or the author's interpretation because we all have different ones and the correct interpretation is relative.

Kevin said...

I think you were right about how the way we perceive stuff changes when we find out what it was supposed to mean. It is similar to the problems we are doing in math right now. There are many differnt ways to start them, and some ways involve more work, but we should all end up with the same answer.

Winnie K said...

hey hey hey:)

I felt the same way when I had to write my first blog. I didn't know what to write about. I kind of did my first one in a hurry but as I start to comment on others' blogs, I realize that I actually like doing this. It's cool seeing what people's views are on the different stories and art.

Gena R. said...

"That is why I really liked doing that activity because we each had a chance to create our own ideas and then we we told what the true meaning was."
Nice job incorporating this into your cool writing presentation. I can tell you really believe it because you let us develop our own interpretations before telling us what the writer intended to say in the song. I agree that it’s cool to hear other peoples’ ideas; sometimes the most interesting discussions come from people bouncing ideas off each other and developing new theories (especially if no one has any background information about the piece or artist. When I visited a modern art museum with a group once, none of us knew what was going on, which left the door open to a lot of creative interpretation.)