Monday, November 17, 2008

The Life You Save May Be Your Own

When reading the story, The Life You Save May Be Your Own, by Flannery O'Conner, I first thought that there was nothing to strange about Tom T. Shiftlet, but then as I continued to read the story I realized that he was some sort of creeper. He randomly showed up at Lucynell Crater's house and then, without even knowing him, she told him he could stay the night. Then he was telling her his life story. He told her about all the different jobs he had and what he was doing now. After that the old women asked him if he wanted to sleep in the car while he did some work around the house for her. However, when Mr. Shiftlet saw the car he became obsessed with it. He would always stare at it and admire it. I believe that the only reason Mr. Shiftlet came to the Crater's house was because he wanted to get money from them and he wanted to get the car from them.

The other thing that I thought was strange in this story was how the older Lucynell begged Mr. Shiftlet to marry her daughter. She kept saying throughout the story that she didn't want her daughter to leave her, but then she was trying to pawn her off to some strange man she barely knew. Then once they did finally get married, right after their wedding, they were going on their honeymoon. However, they didn't make it to their hotel. He left this poor deaf , who could only say the word bird, at a restaurant in the middle of no where with only a sandwich. Then he randomly picked up a hitch-hiker and started telling him how wonderful his mother is. That was also very strange to me.

All in all this whole story was quite strange.

2 comments:

Ky-Ky Bebeh said...

"I first thought that there was nothing to strange about Tom T. Shiftlet, but then as I continued to read the story I realized that he was some sort of creeper."

I lol'd a lot at this because I thought the exact same thing when I was reading the story. I think though that when O'Conner gave off the description of Shiflet, that's when I just knew he had to be a major creeper.

After he left the deaf daughter at the restaurant with that other creeper staring at her, I couldn't help but feel terrible for the poor girl. I'd hate to know what misfortune she woke up to after her nap.

Lisa said...

I thought that Shiftlet guy was soooooo creepy!!!! He warns the old woman to not trust anyone, tells her the second that he meets her that he could be lieing to her, yet by the end of story, she's trusting him! What the heck? It's like having someone tell you that they're going to break into your while you're gone, so instead of staying home and calling the cops, you leave anyways, do nothing, and let them break into your house and steal stuff. DUMB DUMB DUMB!